Saturday, January 22, 2011

Finger lickin' good...

Before I begin I must point out that all recipes that I put on this blog are not mine. I have either found them in cook books, magazines, online, or received the recipe from someone. If I could give the credit where due, I would, but I can't remember for most of them. With that being said, here are two of my standby recipes.


Granola Bars

Dry Ingredients
2-3 cups of rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ (I used bran flakes that I crushed up)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
3/4 tsp salt
Addition ideas:
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup cranberries
fresh fruit
Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup honey (I add 1/4 cup agave syrup)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 - 1 cup apple sauce *optional
1/2 cup peanut butter *optional
2 tsp vanilla

Mix all the dry ingredients together. In a seperate bowl combine wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry ingredients and using hands combine. At this point make sure your mixture is quite moist.
Pat the mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Take out once edges are browning. Cool for 5 minutes, before cutting out. Do not let it cool before cutting out as you will have a hard time getting it out.
*I have played around lots with this recipe. I have tried different combinations. I always make sure the mixture is moist. My first batch were too dry and crumbled. I ended up using it as granola for my yogurt.
Hope you enjoy this goodie!!!



Spicy Maple Grilled Wings

1 package (18-24) chicken wings
1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, and paprika
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp Thai Chili Sauce

Mix together salt, pepper, and paprika; then season wings. Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Start baking the wings. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, add syrup, sugar, butter and chili sauce. Bring to a simmer, whisky briskly. Remove from heat. Baste wings with mixture. *I adapted this recipe as the recipe called for the wings to be grilled on the bbq. I basically baste the wings every 5 to 10 minutes with the chili mixture. In total I maybe bake the wings for 30ish minutes. Use your judgement with basting and when your wings are done.
This is probably my fave recipe that I have!!! Hope you enjoy!
B



1 comment: