Saturday, January 22, 2011

Here goes...

So with the support....guidance...and help of friends...I decided to try my hand blogging. This blog with follow a variety of things...my obsession with cooking, reading, photography...maybe even little snipets of my battles with a crazy 60 pound puppy...

So to begin...some must read books..

  • The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
Follows the character of Aminata Diallo as she is taken from her village and thrown into slavery. This book was amazing. I couldn't put it down. There were moments where I wanted to cry out about the pain and misfortune she suffered. Her strength made her a resilient female character. A MUST READ!!!
  • A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
I read this book awhile ago, but I havent been able to forget it. This novel is about boy soldiers in Sierra Leone. The author has a website where you can learn more about him. http://www.alongwaygone.com/index.html Its a tough read but I really recommend it.
  • In a Sunburnt Country by Bill Bryson
This book prepared me for my trip to Australia a couple of years back. Bill has written a number of books from different places around the world. In a Sunburnt Country, Bill writes about some of the quirks and funny things that people will find when visiting Australia. Even if you haven't been to Australia, is funny outlook on things, makes this book worth a read.

Well thats all for now.... more to come..
B

No comments:

Post a Comment