Thursday, May 5, 2011

Essential Ingredients

I just finished the book, The School of Essential Ingredients. It wasn't the most amazing read; however something I did love about this book was the authors descriptions of cooking different things. She did such an amazing job of writing about the romance of cooking... as a budding cook, I fell in love with some of her words.. She writes about how cooking influences different characters in the story... oh I love reading about cooking!



The book inspired me to list off my favourite things about cooking..so here goes:
1. I love the way different colors come together to make something beautiful. I love the colors of greek salad...the colors of my mexican salad..avocado, black beans, red onion, tomato..love how the colors come together!
2. The smell of cinnamon..
3. The way cheese turns brown and bubbly while my lasgana bakes
4. The feeling of feta cheese when I crumble it over a salad
5. Browning things in a dutch oven or a stove pot..
6. Deglazing a pot.. something so satisfying about watching the bottom of a pot become clean and knowing that those delicious flavours are only enhancing the rest of the dish
7. Watching other people cook... I could sit and watch people cook all day
8. The smell of spaghetti, especially when I have added the right amount of spices and flavours..
9. The smell of fresh baked goods..
10. The smell of bbq...anything cooking on a bbq is just fantastic
11. Taking a spaghetti squash out of the oven, then taking my fork to the insides of it. I love watching it become "spaghetti"
12. The crutch of garlic bread
13. I love trying a new recipe and it turns out absolutely amazing!

What are some of your fave things that go along with cooking?
B

"When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste."
Laiko Bahrs

No comments:

Post a Comment